Most route-planners (including the in-game planner) are not capable of planning routes ahead of 1000 Ly distance. Mostly this might be the case because route calculation is a quite CPU expensive task and as longer the route gets the more CPU time is required. This tool is intended to solve this issue by using a local databaes and utilizing local CPU capacity.
The database used is downloaded once (~144MB) and afterwards stored on the local machine. When calculating the route no information are transmitted to any API but the tool calculates a route on the local machine. This route does not respect star types (so be aware of your fuel) and it is intended to calculate routes for distances way ahead of the 1000 Ly barrier.
Best results will be available when calculating a route in 500 Ly steps and then using the in-game route planner to travel that distance. For example when traveling a 5000 Ly route you no longer need to estimate where to stop and whether the stop is efficient for the route to your destination but you will get 10 to 11 stops, maybe more, which you can use. The stops are calculated on a direct line between your starting point and the destination and for navigation the closest star system is selected.
- It uses the nightly database dump from EDDB
- The database is cached locally in ~/.local/share/ed-fast-travel
- It works better when calculating stops in 100 Ly or more distance on the route
- You can plot courses with more than 25000 Ly distance in only a few seconds
- Maybe the system you want to travel to is not yet known in EDSM / EDDB
Quote from EDSM: "As of today 0.001313% of the galaxy has been discovered on EDSM, it will take 132,444 years, 4 months and 19 days to discover it entirely."
- Calculations with ~25 Ly stop distance should work but maybe they contain jumps >30 Ly distance as of above reason
- Calculations with <20 Ly distance might break as of above reason
- Inside is no real route-planning engine but only a simple vector calculation to find stops on a linear axis
Bugreports / Feature-Requests
- File an issue on GitHub
- Find me on EDCD Discord: Luzifer
History (full history)
- Version 0.12.0
- Display systems with scoopable stars
- Display systems requiring permits
- Switch to EDDB data (Breaking change: EDSM IDs do not longer work!)
- Version 0.11.0
- Improve route calculation speed hugely
- Routes now comply to defined jump range and do not exceed them
- Routes ending mid-space because of lack of systems are now retried using different paths
- Version 0.9.0
- Add german translation (web frontend only)
- Version 0.8.0
- Made database smaller, faster to load and doesn't waste that much resources while loading
- Version 0.7.0
- Add web-interface for easier usage
- Version 0.5.0
- Add self-update functionality
- Version 0.1.0
- Initial version
For more details and usage information please see the README file inside the project.